The responsibility of the City of Leon Mayor is to serve all citizens and business owners fairly and openly. A commitment to applying these principles in the most professional and timely manner possible is key in guiding our community through continued growth and success.
The Governing Body consists of the mayor and 5 Council Members. Regular meeting of the Governing Body is held on the first Monday of each month at 6:30pm. In the event the regular meeting day falls on any legal holiday or any day observed as a holiday by the City Offices, the meeting will be held the next at 6:30pm.
The Mayor and Council would like to encourage you to attend these meetings and participate in your local government.
Mayor Semisch was appointed in January 2020 by K.S.A. 14-308 and took the oath of office January 13, 2020, previous to the regular City Council meeting in January, due to having a case of diagnosed influenza. She is serving a 4-year term.
Some of the duties of the mayor are as follows:
- Preside at all meetings of the Governing Body. The mayor shall have the tie-breaking vote on all questions when the members present are equally divided.
- Have superintending control of all officers and affairs of the city.
- Take care that the ordinances of the city are complied with.
- Sign the commissions and appointments of all officers elected or appointed.
- Endorse the approval of the Governing Body on all official bonds.
- Communicate to the Council, information he or she may deem advisable.
- Have the power to approve or veto any ordinance as the laws of the state shall prescribe.
- Sign all orders and drafts drawn upon the city treasury for money.
Current Mayor is: Kristina "Kris" Semisch